batcatz Posted July 16, 2012 Share Posted July 16, 2012 Hi, I just moved broody hen and 2 five day old ducklings out of the eglu into a slightly larger pen within the walk in run. That was a bit traumatic as the hen panicked when I took the ducklings first. Now she is scratching and sending the ducklings flying. They are quite good at getting out of the way, but should I give them even more space? Their food bowl is covered with hay now and so is the water. She has settled and is sitting in the new nesting area again. I am worried she will kick the ducklings and kill them, although they are quite good at getting out of the way. Edit: She seems to be a bit more careful now. I hope! Maybe due to a change of housing and she needed to settle. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miller30 Posted July 16, 2012 Share Posted July 16, 2012 She should be fine they dont like being moved around and can get a bit stressy ive had great big orps step on their chicks and boot them flying on accident and never lost one ducklings are pretty tough leanne Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
batcatz Posted July 16, 2012 Author Share Posted July 16, 2012 Phew! Thanks, Leanne! They are distracting enough due to cuteness factor without me having to check on them all the time. I had to move them as it was such a mess in the eglu. It was my plan to move them in there to let the other 2 chickens get to know them, reintroduce the hen to the others and let them have the eglu back for laying eggs. When they get a bit bigger (tomorrow? ha ha ha) they will go into one of those ebay wooden coops, but I need to make a ramp so they can go into the house. ha ha. Then I want to get a red Eglu Go without run! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...