BrightonSteve

Conifer in woodchip on run floor?

I have hardwood wood chip on the floor the run but need more as it inevitably gets kicked out, compacts or rots down so needs occasional replacement.

My usual supplier (Martins Wood Farm in East Sussex - can't recommend them highly enough for all things chook-related) normally has piles of it but they're not selling their latest delivery as they say is has arrived from the tree surgeon full of conifer that is apparently very strong smelling and they're not sure whether it might be damaging to chicken's health - they're not using it for their own girls and don't want to sell it to customers until they're sure it's safe.

Anyone know anything about this and whether conifer is safe for chickens? Or does anyone know any other suppliers of hardwood wood chip in the Brighton/Sussex area?

conifer chipping tend to get really hot if they have the green 'leaves' in it when they are in a big pile and after a few days get a lot of dusty mould in the middle of the heap personally I don't use it at home for that reason.it's great on alottment paths or in my muck pen