UKMARCH

Ill chicken, Will she lay again?

Hi, I haven't posted for ages but have been using the clinic and advice regularly. I have a c legbar who was unwell and developed a blocked crop which has now been resolved with liquid paraffin and maggots. She is looking and acting on top form but did lose a lot of weight and at one point I thought she might not make it. I just wondered whether anyone has had a similar experience and whether she will be likely to lay again. She does have a bumpa bit due to feather pecking issues but is eating well and putting on weight her feathers are good but hasn't started laying again do you think she may given time or will she be damaged by the weight loss?

One of my Black Rocks had sour crop earlier in the year and was at deaths door for a couple of days, her crop remained misshapen for ages and she hardly seemed to eat anything for weeks. Gradually she started eating again and her shape went back to normal and eventually she started to lay again.

I guess from this I would say its just a waiting game but it seems to me that it is likely your legbar will start to lay again when she is ready.