UKMARCH Posted July 20, 2012 Share Posted July 20, 2012 Hi, I am thinking of getting a little John Lewis coloured sewing machine for my girls to use over the summer holidays and wondered if anyone has one and if they are any good? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 20, 2012 Share Posted July 20, 2012 I don't have one, but my sister went to buy one of these for her daughter, and was advised by the woman in John Lewis that it was not very sturdy, and she'd be better to buy the £99 full-size machine. It might depend on how old your daughters are, what they will use it for and so on - obviously there's quite a price difference. If they really want to learn to sew, this may be too small for some projects. I see JL have got a Janome for £89, which is a bargain. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
UKMARCH Posted July 20, 2012 Author Share Posted July 20, 2012 Hi, they are 9 and 13, I wanted something for my youngest to have a go with and thought the top loading bobbin might be better for her, I have some vouchers I've been saving so wanted to spend them at JL. My 13 year old has done a little bit at school and has produced a lovely bag and is probably better than me on the sewing maching as I haven't really done much apart from make some dog protection boots since school so she can use mine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 20, 2012 Share Posted July 20, 2012 Gosh, I didn't realise it had a top loading bobbin! It's more money for a full size machine, but I'd still be inclined to go for something that will have a longer 'life'. I started sewing at around 9 years old, using my mother's hand sewing machine which had belonged to her mother - I had to master bobbin winding, loading, threading etc, obviously with a bit of help and supervision, so I'm sure she would soon get the hang of it. The £49 one does offer a lot of features though, and if she gets really keen then I reckon you could probably eBay it and get some of the money back to put towards a bigger one. How exciting! When I sew now, I can still remember my mum showing me how to use the machine, it's a lovely memory. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
UKMARCH Posted July 20, 2012 Author Share Posted July 20, 2012 Thanks Olly I took your advice and got the £89 special, the other did seem light but the bobbin was good as was the foot/finger protector but the sales lady advised me that it was only for light use really for felt and cottons and as my youngest wants to make animals with fur fabric wouldn't be up to the job. I will probably help her with mine and my eldest has just unpacked it and is really excited to get going and doesn't want to go to bed now! I think she will be fine with it, its probably not like the all singing and dancing computrised ones she has been using at school but she will be able to work it and be able to get on by herself. She wants to start making bits to sell at a school Christmas market to raise funds for her school holiday next year so hopefully we will be keeping busy this summer holidays. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted July 24, 2012 Share Posted July 24, 2012 Hiya - just a tip - get your daughter the ' Craftseller' magazine. Lots of ideas to make & sell! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...