surf_space

Chick Colouration

I am going to hatch chicks from black japanese bantams and black pekins bantams, could anyone tell me what colour the chicks will be (until their feathers fully develop as i heard chicks are often different colours) and how I can distinguish between the two breeds? As they will be all together when hatching. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

They will probably be all black chicks possibly with a bit of yellow on them so not much difference there

the major difference is that the Pekins will have feathery legs and the Japs wont

Do be aware that Japanese carry a lethal gene which means that 25% of the chicks will die in the egg if both parents were short legged, a good breeder will avoid this by using one short legged bird and one long legged bird

Thanks for your help I will look for the differences. I am also aware of the lethal gene but thank you as I didn't know you could help prevent it by using a long and short legged parent. The chicks started to pip yesterday, last ones just hatched so i've been lucky with a 100% hatch rate. I've noticed however, one of the chicks is nearly fully yellow will this change when it gets its adult feathers? Thanks again! :)