Spinning Top

Introducing ex batts advice request please

We like the idea of 'rescuing' a few ex-batts but don't want to bring them from frying pan to fire.

We currently have 6 girls - the 4 original hybrids, now with us a year plus a RIR and a CCL who were introduced around Christmas time. They are housed in a Cube with a 20m fenced off area during the day and the rest of the garden a couple of evenings a week.

Since the beginning of the year we've lost 3 other girls, at least one of whom was picked on while we tried everything we could think of to stop her being bullied. This, and not knowing what the problem was with the others, makes us cautious.

The pecking order is most marked in 3 of the hybrids - Poached is clearly the boss but doesn't seem to need to impose her authority apart from a disapproving look from time to time (!), Boiled is a bully and appears likely to be permanently sentenced to a bumper bit and poor Fried has a bald neck where a couple of girls get a feather or two given the chance (we've changed the anti-pecking spray to see if that helps).

So - is it fair to introduce weaklings? If so, how?

We have a Classic with a 2m run which we could set up alongside the Cube or even inside the day time enclosure and I wondered whether the best option would be to put 3 new girls in there for a couple of weeks, then maybe add Poached (boss but not a bully) or Fried, before letting them all out into the garden a couple of times then taking the Classic out of action when things have settled.

Really, really worred about inflicting even more distress on these poor girls tho' and keeping them seperate permanently is not an option.

Any ideas please..?? :pray::pray:

I would definitely keep the ex-batts in the Eglu on their own for a while to grow feathers and gain strength as many have weak muscles at first. I would probably put a bumpa bit on the bully in introductions if she is known to be mean. Although I've never had any ex-batts many people who do say that they can be very fiesty as they have had to fight for food when in their cages so may not necessarily be beat up too much! Good luck

I would keep the ex-battes separate for several weeks and do slow introductions while free ranging. They will be weak and clueless for a while but it won't take long for them to get the idea of life on the outside.

The idea of free ranging with selected hans from the main group is an idea so they can get used to mixing with a few of the originals.

I have done two introductions to date with both ex batts and posh birds and in general it takes about 6/8 weeks for them to become friends. I will be getting some more ex batts sometime soon too. :dance: