Looney

Change in weather...time to move the boys?

At the moment the eglu and run are on the lawn. I cover the run so the boys and the grass don't get drenched when it rains but obviously at this time of the year the ground is never really dry. I have read that guinea pigs are quite susceptible to damp so I'm wondering if I should now be thinking about moving the run onto the patio :? Any advice please?

I have got some of those foam shapes that are designed for babies to play on (they look like massive interlocking floor tiles) so am planning on putting the run and eglu on those when the weather gets colder, thinking they'd provide a touch more insulation.

Hi Looney

I would definitely get them off the grass on onto those tiles, because as you mentioned damp is not good for Guineas, and the combination of damp and draughts is even worse, and its getting cold now, so is there anyway you can completely cover the run with something waterproof/insulating to shelter them from the cold winds ... Also I would spot clean everyday making sure to get rid of all the damp bedding and replacing with dry, and give them loads and loads of hay or straw for them to snuggle into ... Another couple of things you might want to look into are Cuddle Pockets and Snugglesafe, a microwaveable heatpad.

Thank you for the advice :D I will move them today. The spot I have in mind is right next to the fence, so they'll have some protection from the wind from that side and the house wall will be right behind the eglu. Unless the weather has been fine / sunny I have been leaving the run covered. I have been changing their bedding regularly and giving them a lot of hay (with two enthusiastic little kids wanting to have turns to help we've been getting through a lot of hay :lol:) and I bought a Snugglesafe in a sale a few weeks ago :D Haven't used it yet though.