Nicola O

Dog with mini stroke ?? (sorry - long post)

Thanks for the update, what a relief for you to have confidence in your new vet :D

So pleased that Millie is continuing to improve...

I hope the blood tests her pancreas aren't anything else to worry about, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. xx

Thanks. The new vet is amazing, he has just called again and has given me so much detail and information I can't remember some of it now :lol:.

There is a problem with her pancreas but fortunately it's not major pancreas 'failure' (I can't remember the proper term he used) as she is not showing any of the outward symptems - diarhea, vomiting or abdominal pain - so he feels it is chronic pancreatitis, where it's just there in the background so to speak. It can get worse or can suddenly develop into the serious one so I have to change her diet and get her on the lowest fat one there is, which I was very suprised to hear is tinned Chappie !! I always thought of Chappie as full of rubbish as it's such a cheap food, but the vet said that it is the best food for low fat as it is full of fish oils, other food content - calories, meat, cereal etc is not a concern for her now, just LOW fat. He also said do not give any treats unless they are under 5% in fat and on no account give her Dentastix. I had to laugh as I have just come back from shopping with a big box of them - I'll take them back and swap them for some chappie instead :lol: .

He doesn't feel that the pancreas is related to her 'stroke' last week, and is a completely separate condition, so perhaps the 'stoke' has in a way been a good thing as it has helped us discover what could have developed into something serious.