auntielizzie

Feather pulling/sore looking back

Hi all, I have come to the conclusion that somebody must be pulling Betsy's feathers out :shock: Right from when I first got her last summer, she had a little bald patch on her back (just above where the sticky up tail feathers are). presumed that this had been from being in the large pen with all the other chickens and being pecked. The bald patch has just never gone away and in fact seemed to be getting bigger and spreading up her back. These last few mornings I have noticed that it looks sore around where feathers are missing. I can only assume that one or more of the other girls are pulling them out, although I have no idea who and wonder if the feathers are being eaten as I very rarely see any feathers inside the coop.

What is the best way to treat this? Presumably I need some purple spray, but is there anything I could put on the skin to help with the healing. It isn't horrific, but there are spots of blood where the feathers should be and I am worried that this is going to escalate now and become painful.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hi there.

Yes it sounds like you've got a feather puller.

The most important thing is to keep the wound protected and any blood disguised. We find the Net Tex anti-peck spray with antiseptic useful as it stinks and the colour is brown (the antiseptic component) so it disguises bare skin/wounds, particularly if you have a brown hen.

It's also important to find the culprit. If she persists it can become a habit for the flock. It might be the one hen is being bullied but not always.

We're still not convinced re. bumper bits, but if it's only the one bird the spray & possibly a saddle may help (depending on whether the wound would come under the saddle or outside.

Hope that's helpful.

Feathers.