Hi. I have decided I am going to hatch this year using my very broody australorp Cristal. I was planning on using the !gored! and run but I'm a bit worried that the cats would be able to get to the chicks through the mesh. They're not interested in the chickens but I'm sure chicks would be too much of a temptation! I do have some link-a-board which I could put round the sides for a bit more protection but would it be enough?

My other option is to buy something. I don't want to spend too much so if anyone can recommend a coop/run that would be great.

Hi there! :D

I hatched last year and used a second hand wooden ark with it's own attached run. It was very safe for the chicks (I have 2 boy cats who love to catch the local flora & funa!) It has a panel of wood all the way around the bottom of the run part. I got it of ebay and paid £80. But I would personally think with the linkaboard you would be fine to use your go and run :D:D I did contact omlet about getting the green edging stuff they have on the quial classic set up....but they currently don't sell it separately :(

My question is are you ready with a plan for the boys????? I got 4 boys and 3 girls!!! Did manage to re-home the boys....phew!! :wink:

Thanks Mimi5!

Was just looking at the quail edging and they now sell a small bird/chick pack which includes it! It's for the classic but I'm sure it would work for the Go and I can use the chick base in my classic when they get older. Perfect!

Just got to wait for Cristal to go broody now! Very excited :dance:

I will try and re-home any boys. My neighbour has a friend who is willing to take some so hopefully it'll all work out.

Glad to be of help :D SOoooo exciting!! I loved hatching......but chick watching is very addictive and your house will go to rack and ruin :lol::lol: Glad you have a plan for the boys :clap:

Was just looking at the quail edging and they now sell a small bird/chick pack which includes it

Oooo that's good to know! :D So keep us posted!!!

Wanted to ask, how did you get on with your storm damaged WIR? Did the insurers pay up? How's your set up now?? I remembered your pics and it looked perfect before!!!

Wanted to ask, how did you get on with your storm damaged WIR? Did the insurers pay up? How's your set up now?? I remembered your pics and it looked perfect before!!!

Oh yes, I forgot to update!

The insurance company finally saw sense and paid up! Had to send lots of pics but they sorted really quickly in the end. Hasn't made too much of a difference to my premiums either. :D I've now got an auto door opener attached to the cube without a run and I managed not to cut any fingers off while I was making it! It works really well for me and the girls, they get to free range all day every day and I don't have to worry about letting them in/out (I'm a shift worker).