Old Speckled Hen

Autumn Tx

My training apiary is using MAQS on two of their hives and yes they say it is very smelly but they also say given the vagaries of the weather that it is good because you can leave it on and don't have to take if off after a week like some of the other preparations.

I used homeopathic stuff on my bees since they got them in June and so far no sign of Varroa at all.

Good luck and I will let you know what the results were on MAQs for the Central Sussex Beekeeping Association.

Hi there.

With reference to the new varroa treatment MAQS Beehive Strips.

The bucket is specially designed to withstand the acid fumes, and the contents should not under any circumstances be stored in anything else !

Please don't divide a box or encourage anyone to do this.

Pass the part-used bucket on by all means, but nothing else !

I know a guy that was involved with the UK testing of its predecessor called Miteaway II Formica Acid Pad.

The fumes are really nasty to people and corrode all metal parts within the hive. The metal runners are best coated with Vaseline before treatment to reduce corrosion, and open mesh floors are best covered with the plastic catch board placed inside on top and the queen excluder removed completely.

The bees tolerate it quite well and it is apparently a quite effective against varroa, especially when it is too late or cool for the thymol based Apiguard to be used !

Hope that is useful. :)

Well suppliers are splitting packs.

It is packaged in heavy duty plastic sachets so I don't see a problem.

I left my hive configuration alone, excluders on and mesh floors unprotected and I don't see any damage, infact as the product is designed to be used with supers on it might be difficult to work without an excluder unless you are one of those beeks that don't use them.

From MAQS FAQs

Subject: Corrosive in Nature

Q) On the product label it states: This product is corrosive. Do not allow product to contact metal surfaces. Are the strips safe to use with metal queen excluders?

A) Formic acid vapours are corrosive to ferrous metals, but not aluminum or most stainless steels. Some queen excluders get a white powder on them and will show rust around the edges over time.

Ok if you have stainless or aluminium as most have.

I was happy with it. Had a queen superseded so will use it earlier next year...... before harvest.