stu Posted August 22, 2013 Share Posted August 22, 2013 Bearing in mind, I read this post, thanks: http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94554 This morning I discovered two birds missing... well one was missing and the other scattered about the outside of the run. There is no explanation that I can see, and the run is pretty much fast to blocks at the edges and a dirt-bath/ground area in the middle. There is no hole, and I can only imagine that the birds were somehow pulled through the mesh after being caught by something..? It's not humans, I don't think, unless they actually chewed the birds to make a gratuitous point. The birds won't go into the house for love nor money, but they will be caught and placed in from now on. That said... if this is something like a weasel... can it get through the air vents..? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
paulad Posted August 22, 2013 Share Posted August 22, 2013 sorry don't know the answer - but how awful for you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted August 22, 2013 Share Posted August 22, 2013 oof, sounds horrible. Sorry to hear it, poor girls. If you're thinking it's weasels or similar, it may be worth putting some reasonably strong mesh over the vent holes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stu Posted August 22, 2013 Author Share Posted August 22, 2013 If you're thinking it's weasels or similar, it may be worth putting some reasonably strong mesh over the vent holes. I actually did this today, but since then did some exploring, and since we have just had a major garden overhaul, and have a rather large bed set aside for a wild meadow which is still soft,I decided to have a close look at it, and... discovered some dog/fox prints. I have heard of foxes being crafty enough to pull birds through mesh (sorry I don't want to conjure up any bad imagery here) piece by piece. The girls are in the house tonight, and will be made to use it from now on, and I plan on sitting out in the early hours (Maybe with a few beers) to see what comes of this. If am honest... I hope it is a fox, as this I can deal with... a weasel..? Am beginning to doubt this, but all I can think of is a trap and diversionary feeding. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickanne Posted August 22, 2013 Share Posted August 22, 2013 Hoping the vigil pays off Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...