Cinnamon

Fleas on a cat

My Nemo is very much an outdoor cat & a great hunter, so I am religious about keeping his flea treatment up to date & use Advocate on him monthly. I last treated him just a week ago.

So I was horrified to find him crawling with fleas this morning :roll:

I kind of thought he has flea-proof is he is regularly treated.

Any advice?

He may have encountered a hedgehog. If he is uptodate they fleas will die pretty quickly. Best also to make sure your house has been treated with a suitable spray too to break the flea lifecycle. Before spraying you should create as much vibration around the areas that the pupae may be - nooks and crannies and furniture so vaccuuming and shaking is a good way. Also turning the heating up can encourage the pupae to hatch out. Whilst in their cocoon they are impossible to kill so doing all of this gets them to hatch :wink: Finally make sure your cat is up to date with tapeworm treatment - Milbemax or Drontal (not panacur as it doesn't kill the flea tapeworm).

Yep, he is fully worm treated too.

Thanks for that. I have phoned the vets & they have recommended a tablet for him & the dog to take (the dogs flea treatment got missed last month - Hubbys fault :roll: ), plus a spray for the house.

Maddeningly I hoovered just yesterday :twisted:

I did wonder if he had just come across something that was infested, as he didn't have any in the usual places, up around & on the ears, but they were in his long body fur....I pulled 9 off of him.

Makes me feel proper itchy!