5fathens

wing clipping?

Hi there,

our lovely ducklings are now 6,7 & 8 weeks old, until yesterday I was quite happy with them running free in the garden when I was home in the day, but when I let them out yesterday afternoon one of them managed to take off! not very far or more than a few feet but enough to scare me and have me ushering them back in the pen pretty quick.

my question is-is it too early to clip their wings?

and is it the same as chicken wing clipping, the first 3 flight feathers to just above the next layer of feathers in length?

my dad may be over today and if it's okay to do I will try and rope him in to help me so if anybody has any advice I would really appreciate it.

many thanks

Hi,

they are white call ducks, will they be able to fly properly?

(must admit it didn't cross my mind that they might not actually be able to fly - i was so impressed with their flapping and lift off yesterday albeit very short and low I just assumed as the bigger they got the more height and distance they'd get.....)

do you mean that the age they are now 6,7 & 8 weeks is too young for clipping or is that breed dependant too? don't want to get it all wrong and hurt the little 'uns

for some reason i was under the impression that by 8 weeks they had all their adult feathers which I guess is why I had in my mind that they need clipping sooner rather than later so I don't lose them to next doors dogs! would that be breed dependant too?

thanks for your patience with me I am sure I am asking really daft questions but you guys seem to really know your stuff on here.....

Hi oh yes its best to clip call ducks its the same as a chicken just one wing and feel down until the meaty flesh stops i normally don't clip any of my birds until they are over 16 weeks i clipped my neighbours call ducks but they were 6 months old and had never shown any signs of flying away but if your worried i would leanne :)