Surfnirvana

Gurgling older chicken

My lovely Bess who is almost 4 years old, has gone off her food, quite thin now and I noticed yesterday has a real gurgle in her chest when I picked her up. Her abdomen is also quite swollen. Apart from this she looks reasonably well, she is still pecking at the grass, moving around, full red comb and bright eyes. I've put some Tylan antibiotics in her water and have been feeding her some plain yoghurt and dried mealworms, which she has gulped up. Am thinking I might need to take her to the vets for stronger antibiotics (Baytril), but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful. Thank you

Sounds like Bess isn't very well at all Surfnivana. I assume she is a 4 year old hybrid with those symptoms. She may have several things wrong with her and a vet visit will be necessary. The gurgle could be a respiratory infection. We treat with Baytril and then establish and remove the cause which could be dust, poor ventilation, damp bedding or black mould spores on the walls of the coop. Swollen abdomen could be peritonitis and if you search through the previous threads you will realise that isn't good news.