miller30

First Broodies of the year

One's on 5 the rest are on 6 I sometimes give them 8 but it depends on what I have and I'm being strict on colours this year .My friend has a broody but doesn't want anymore birds and can't deal with the boys so she is coming to collect 8 eggs on Monday and then will bring them all back at about 8 weeks when her girl has had enough just hope it's not a repeat of last year all I got back was cock birds which I culled straight away sounds horrible but there was just no point in me settling them in a pen causes arguments with my growers when I wouldn't have rehomed them :( I hope you get a good hatch and are all girls leanne :)

I hope you get a good hatch and are all girls
:shock::lol: Well that would be a result :dance:

Last time I got 4 boys and 3 girls (one of which is my broody hen now :wink: ) I was lucky and did manage to re-home the boys. This time I do have a friend on standby( to do the deed :( ) if I'm not so lucky with re-homing :(

Your pekins look amazing :clap: Shame you're not nearer........I could have got some of your cute fluffies :)

I read somewhere that older hens produce more female offspring, younger hens producing more males???? If that has any truth to it my hens are both 3.....

I have 2 chicks so far under my crazy blue mottled these eggs were stone cold for 15/17 hours when I gave her them out my incubator as she wasn't happy about being moved so Sat next to them just goes to show just let them get on with it

That's quite amazing :think: Anymore yet?? How about your other broodies??

Yes she has 4 chicks now last chick died in shell my other 2 broodies are due next week the 4th was mucking around and couldn't make her mind up what she's doing and I now have another 2 gone broody but I have loads of eggs in my incubator fertility testing so when I've candled can share some out. I also have duck eggs due in another incy on sunday :lol:

I've been very busy but quick update I know there not chicks but I now have 7 ducklings in a brooder another broody due to hatch 5 chicks on Friday and then another 2 Sat on 10 eggs each which are due in 2 weeks and another 3 that I'm ignoring lol leanne :)