lsb

Honey Harvesting

Hello,

I'm getting ready to move through my first honey harvest and have been reading/watching around and wonder if anyone has any specific thoughts on using a heat gun to melt the caps and then harvesting honey with a spoon, to leave the beehaus wire frame foundation intact. I see there are various uncapping forks/planes/knives, but the heat gun looked rather easy and quick, but not sure how the hot wax would play into the harvest.

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!

Drawn supers are valuable, so don't destroy the bees' work. Why not borrow an extractor. Lots of folk use heat to uncap....

I think it changes the honey but that's just personal opinion.

I like an uncapping fork. It is time consuming but enables you to follow uneven comb rather than slicing off great bits of comb with a knife.

If you want to harvest honey with a spoon then wait till next year, put in either thin foundation or just starter strips in some of the frames and make yourself some cut comb

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure that the beehaus frames fit in USA sized extractors, but I will check it out. If not, I guess I will have to destroy the drawn comb, or alternatively, use an uncapping fork, but again, I suppose that will lead to drawn comb going by the wayside. Regardless, I appreciate the thoughts and will let you know what I find.