Sign in to follow this  
Stanley

Bald females

Hi

I have 5 female & 1 male coturnix quail that are just coming up to 8 wks old. They live in a 6 x 3ft aviary so have plenty of space.

3 females are the darker brown type & 2 females & the male are the cinamon colour. The male is favouring the 3 dark girls (who are smaller than the 2 cinamon so maybe easier to catch). All 3 are loosing feathers, but one is now bald on her head & across the top of her back from his advances. She seems really quiet & despite being previously flighty is now letting me pick her up & hold her. She looking at bit sore poor thing.

Is there anything I can do? Is this just teenage behaviour & he will calm down or do I need to rehome him?

I don't keep quail Stanley, but from what I have heard this is a common problem and the male needs to be kept separate. By the sounds of it you are not far from having to deal with serious injuries. I suppose in nature the females would fly off when they had enough of male advances!

Hi

Thanks. That's what I fear. I will give it some time & see if he calms down. I think the issue is him favouring 2 of the 5 girls. He's way more rampant than our rooster is with his hens! Poor quail ladies :(