Aswell

A bird taking my chickens?

Hi, I have had 2 chickens disappear over the last 6-8 weeks.

They are enclosed at night but in the open area covered in trees during the day. I have just lost a second chicken during the day with no explanation. I am very confident it is not a fox as they are in an enclosed area but not fully fox proof but there is no sign of fox disturbance such as feathers and digging etc.

If they get out, which sometimes they have, they tend to stay within the garden or go to a neighbour.

I am fairly sure they have been taken by birds.

If this is the case what can I do about it? I cannot cover the area with netting as the trees loose branches, leaves, fruit etc. and netting is not practical (it's a large area.) Will stringing bunting type string across the area help?

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Brian

We put yellow clothes line across our enclosure to break buzzard flight paths, which appeared to work; they were in an enclosure in an orchard. But if the chickens can get out, the fence may be too low as a fox can jump over 5 feet and I've seen one clear a 6 foot wall without touching it. Could it be a mink getting under the fence?