Kate_G

Kate G

Hi, wonder if people can help.

We got 4 new girls the other week (2 sillies, 1 polish bantam and a pekin). 

All was fine on bringing them back but within 4 days one of the silkies died suddenly. We started them all on flubenvet as thought it might be gape worm as she was gaping horrendously an hour before she died. They then all started sneezing. When the polish bantam got seriously sick I took her to the vet and they diagnosed mycoplasma and all girls have been given Baytril Oral 10%. Sadly the polish didn’t make it either. 

The seller has been good and stopped selling her girls and also offered support to make sure the problem isn’t her end. 

My 2 remaining are still on Baytril after vet said continue for a further 5 days as they are still sneezing (already been on it for 7)! Poos are now completely normal. The pekin is doing well and laying and eating lots. But the silkie seems to have an empty crop for 2 days. I’ve seen her eat and drink... peck around etc. But, no visible crop in the evening but she is definitely eating as I watch her. 

Wondered if anybody had any advice in terms of the persistent sneezing (no other symptoms visible) or the look of an empty crop? 

Thank you in advance. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:03 PM, Kate_G said:

Hi, wonder if people can help.

We got 4 new girls the other week (2 sillies, 1 polish bantam and a pekin). 

All was fine on bringing them back but within 4 days one of the silkies died suddenly. We started them all on flubenvet as thought it might be gape worm as she was gaping horrendously an hour before she died. They then all started sneezing. When the polish bantam got seriously sick I took her to the vet and they diagnosed mycoplasma and all girls have been given Baytril Oral 10%. Sadly the polish didn’t make it either. 

The seller has been good and stopped selling her girls and also offered support to make sure the problem isn’t her end. 

My 2 remaining are still on Baytril after vet said continue for a further 5 days as they are still sneezing (already been on it for 7)! Poos are now completely normal. The pekin is doing well and laying and eating lots. But the silkie seems to have an empty crop for 2 days. I’ve seen her eat and drink... peck around etc. But, no visible crop in the evening but she is definitely eating as I watch her. 

Wondered if anybody had any advice in terms of the persistent sneezing (no other symptoms visible) or the look of an empty crop? 

Thank you in advance. 

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Although the seller might have stopped selling, she should have taken the hens back and I think I would have been inclined to do that. Hens shouldn't be this poorly within days of getting home.

Sneezing in hens can be a whole range of things. If your silky isn't eating, is she getting her antibiotics? Or are you giving it orally? Is the crop really empty or just looks empty? You should give her a feel and keep a very close eye on her.

• Thanks 1