MissIndie

Chickens being “off”

Hi, I inherited 3 hens when I bought a house 2 months ago. So far 2 of them have been up and down with "being off" (not eating, separating from the others) for a few days every couple of weeks but generally being normal and doing chicken things. Is this normal? Today one that has been off since Sunday hadn't come out of the coop and just standing on the roost bar.  She was completely off her food yesterday and the day before although I managed to give her some natural yoghurt and she was drinking yesterday.  The week before I worned them all with marriages pellets and she wasn't impressed with that and didn't eat as much as the others. She pooped a bright yellow dropping yesterday and today there was a fair bit of watery ones.   Is she stressed with the change of food? Any suggestions as to what to do? Thank you!

Could be just having a new routine, but you were right to worm them. Could be there is some bullying going on as well? Are they laying? How big is the run? What are you feeding them on? Have you put any additives in the water (don't)? Natural yoghurt is indigestible to a chicken and that may have upset her? Perhaps their digestion is in a poor state? Sorry, lots of questions and no answers.

Thank you Beantree.  They have a huge area to free range in which has a wood chip topping but no grass or vegetation other than weeds that are coming through.  There is a big tree that gives them shelter and shade.  We get 1 - 2 eggs per day but I still haven't figured out who is laying.   A couple of weeks ago there was a lash egg and the hen that is currently poorly had a very pooey bottom so I'm presuming the lash egg came from her.  I've just spoken to a neighbour who I didn't realise has a wealth of experience with chickens - she examined my poorly girl and said there are no indications to say there is anything wrong with her (no mites or lice; crop, stomach and bottom ok) so it could just be that she is old.  I've separated her from the others now and left her with water and meal and a tiny bit of corn which she did take a little bit of.  If it's like how she has been in past then it'll pass and she'll be ok.  The other 2 are fine so I think I'll just have to continue monitoring and making sure she carries on drinking and hopefully will start to take food soon.

You are very lucky to have a neighbour with experience of chickens, because the general perception is that they are easy to keep but in fact that couldn't be further from reality. They are very complicated. Now there are going to be problems if she recovers and you re-introduce her, because they have very short memories and will treat her as an intruder. The solution is that they change places, so they are put outside in a strange place while she establishes the area as her own. then re-introduce the originals one at a time which may be over several days.

Bit of a steep learning curve for you unfortunately, but this experience will be of immense value in the future I'm sure. This is how we started with a "baptism of fire', as it's known. Everything that could go wrong did and we had to deal with it. Unfortunately forums for help were not available but plenty of good books were. The key to all chicken keeping we have found is their poos; they will tell you everything and need to be checked every day.

• Like 1

Thank you!  She is still in the run but in a caged area so they can all see each other - I hope that is ok?  I had to coax her out of the hut this morning and I've given her scrambled egg with a bit of meal in it which she started to eat.  There was a lot of watery poo in the hut this morning which I'm presuming is from her.  The others are fine with her still, but I'll keep on watching them all and making sure she continues to drink.  Fingers crossed she'll start to make progress.  Thank you for your advice and comments - much appreciated!

Fine if they can still see each other. Problems start when they are separated completely and out of sight of each other. We've had two extremes, both remarkable; one was separated for two weeks and went straight back in without any issues, the other, a buff Orpington, was separated and out of sight of her sister for just 24 hours and they fought like mad when re-introduced. Typically a few days is OK.

Has she a sour crop? Is her crop empty or can you feel a lump in it? It'sasy to mistake a lump for her curved neck; the crop is a bit lower. If so it would be water only and a gentle massage every few hours to try and break the lump up so it will pass through her digestive system. I know it has been checked, but worth checking again anyway, because watery poo can be a symptom.

Thank you.  She is so much brighter this morning.  She's showing an interest in food although not chowing down and drinking and moving more with the others. I'll check her crop and try to find something for her to eat that won't upset her tummy anymore but give her some nutrients.

I have this with one of my girls sometimes - I've just given them the Beryls Friendly Bacteria from the Chicken Vet website and this gives them a real internal boost especially if they've been a bit stressed. It stinks but they seem to love it! She has been much better since with much more normal poo. Might be worth a try and won't do any harm