Dandelion

Following biosecurity measures after May 2nd

After May 2nd we're going to be allowed to let our birds out, but have to observe strict biosecurity. The section which I find tricky is the one which says that clothing and footwear must be cleansed and disinfected after contact with poultry. Footwear is fine, we've been doing that, but clothing? My hens are in the garden and I must visit them eight times a day - seriously, am I really supposed to wash my clothes every time I see them?? I can see that this is important for someone who works with poultry, who can change at the end of their shift and wash their clothes, but how are backyard chicken keepers supposed to interpret this? I would be very interested to hear what other people are doing.

I work outdoors. I won’t wear work clothes in my garden with my chickens and vice versa. I wouldn’t wear the same clothes if I knew I was going somewhere else there would definitely be other poultry or waterfowl. Apart from that I won’t be doing anything with my clothing, I know it doesn’t say it but I think this part of the biosecurity guidance really is mainly aimed at commercial outfits.

Thank you Mullethunter, that's helpful. I did wonder after I had posted whether it was actually handling the hens which would necessitate changing clothes - I wouldn't have thought that just changing food and water containers (for instance) would pose much of a threat.