Can I kill a fox ?

I was wondering something very similar earlier this evening. There was the sound of World War III breaking out at the front of the house. I couldn't think of anything it could be but foxes and so I headed out, rather optimistically carrying my broomstick. Two foxes were fighting in the hedge of the house opposite. I think I got within about 6 foot of them (going by the sound before they decided to move, continuing the fight on the nearby wall.

I did get some very odd looks from the person on the other side of the road when he opened his front door and a passer by. But while hopefully fantasising about managing to clout one with said broomstick I did wonder whether I'd end up on the wrong end of the law if I managed to break its leg and it died an agonising death

:)

Not too pleased to discover two of them choosing to have a territorial fight on the other side of our road. Bristol is the fox capital of the SW. Rocks and logs are now weighting down the Eglu, particularly since it's on a freshly dug raised bed after this weekend.

Cue funeral march. :(

I had no strong feelings on the hunt bill (except that it was a colossal waste of parliamentary time to keep revisiting it when there are far more important things that lawmakers should be addressing), but having heard Ann Widdecombe on the subject I did want to invite my horsey friends to bring theirs horses and dogs and come and stand in the garden to see if they were 'obviously hunting' :)

Good reply, Murdo! :lol:

Sorry to hear that you have urban foxes surrounding you...Take care! Does make it a serious question if we felt our girls were threatened, doesn't it? I don't know the answer now, but I might know a man who does, in which case will report back.

I wouldn't like to see "hunting" debated on this forum...there could be a nasty split & we all seem to agree about most other things. (I don't mean your comment, that was funny).

I don't hate foxes....I just don't want them near any of our chickens & urban foxes are a real threat.

I wouldn't like to see "hunting" debated on this forum...there could be a nasty split & we all seem to agree about most other things. (I don't mean your comment, that was funny).

Yes it could spoil the atmosphere, and that would be a shame when this is so much more friendly than 'other' forums. :wink:

But my hens are definitely now pro-hunting ! (However I have declined the offer of a Countryside Alliance badge for their Eglu from the horsey people.)

OK. The man says; anyone can kill a fox if they want to, as they are classed as vermin.

(The law change is specifically about using dogs for the kill....hence the confusion & apparent loopholes)

So, assuming we're talking about in our gardens & locality ...its up to you.

Now, most effective is shotgun...but not without licence or in residential area :!: So, thats out!

Trapping...(but not gin traps)...personally wouldn't know where to start...

So, back to the broomsticks? Not very effective, I think!

...Also, stop anyone you know from feeding urban foxes!

We're back to the deterrents.....male urine :roll:

We have had fox legislation for longer than you guys and it has been tested in court now. They have to prove that you encouraged the animals to chase and fox intentionally I think. Like sheila says you are allowed to kill them as they are vermin - but the Wildlife and countryside act protects them as a wild animal so if you are going to try and kill one you have to do it in a humane way or you could still be in trouble. Interestingly if a wild animal becomes trapped in your garden you have responsibility under that act for it even though you don't own it so tread carefully :wink: