Helen

chicken "bully"

Hi everyone, as some of you know my lovely chickens arrived Good Friday afternoon around 4pm. They are settling in well and becoming tamer by the day but I am a little concerned that Pepperpot is giving Ginger a really hard time. I know they have to establish a pecking order but is it normal for the dominant one to keep on asserting herself. Ginger is looking a little ragged around the edges and has lost a few feathers. It seems that if Pepper gets spooked or upset she sets upon Ginger ??? any thoughts on the matter :?

Hi Helen, I have only just experienced this problem when I introduced a new hen to the Omlet 2, and after the initial sorting of the pecking order some weeks ago, I do still see Babs & Ginger giving Bunty a gentle reminder that she is bottom of the pecking order. I thought that once this was sorted the pecking would stop but even today they were chasing her off food and I caught Ginger sitting on top of Bunty, so maybe they will always keep her in check.............I would think with time it should settle down, because more often than not Babs & Ginger just growl at Bunty and she knows to back off.

Hope this helps and I am sure some more people will be along soon to give their experiences.

Thanks Nicola...I know it will probably sort itself out but I'm just like a new mum fretting over minor hitches and upsets. It started raining this afternoon and I kept checking to see how wet they were getting!!

I will continue to read the threads and gather more information...everyone is so helpful.

Jenny is superhen in our Eglu and even now, nearly 10 months down the line, she still likes to assert her authority over poor sweet Clarry. If she happens to be eating out of the mash feeder when Jenny wants a turn, she'll give her a look - Clarry knows what to do when she gets that look and that's to get out of the way quick sharp before she gets a peck! Poor sweetie :( .

Clarry does get her own back though because she's quicker on her starfish feet and she's always stealing worms and bugs that Jenny's found :lol: !

It'll calm down, Helen. If they're anything like Jenny and Clarry, it won't go away but it certainly gets less and less unpleasant to watch.

Hi Kate,

I guess you are right but I do feel so sorry for ginger because it all seems so unpleasant. My only comfort is that Pepper may have the beauty and the brawn but Ginger definately has the brains (as many as a chicken can have anyway)

I know how you feel. We hated seeing Jenny in full spite too when they first arrived but it does calm down and they will become friends - so long as Clarry stays away from the food bowl when it's Jenny's turn :lol: .

Ollie always says that Jenny has the nicest feathers but Clarry has the prettiest henny face! She's such a lovely character too. Jenny's the clever one but Clarry's lovely in a sweet ditzy loveable way.

When we introduced Sylvia(who was older than the other two) to Hazel and Doris she had a really hard time, blood was flying inside the eglu. Hazel was chasing poor Sylv out of the garden into next door (good job we have nice neighbours). We tried keeping Sylvia in the run and just letting Doris and Hazel out but this didn't seem to change anything, so we changed our tactic and kept the bully in the run!! It worked and now all three girls get along just fine.

Becky

Helen,

How upsetting it must be for you but I am sure it will get better with time. I am really lucky with my two, they seem to be the best of friends. The chap who came from omlet warned us that they can be quite spiteful with their pecking order but it hasn't happened, I was expecting blood and feathers everywhere!

Don't feel silly about worrying if they get wet - it's pouring here and they have been in the convervatory all morning as I can't bear to put them out in the pouring rain - now that really IS silly!!

Hope things get better for you soon.

Olivia

My Claire GNR is definitely the boss, even though Camilla PP is bigger. Claire is very greedy, and will always beat Camilla to any treats. She sometimes gives her a look, and Camilla backs off. They do get on very well though, and there's never any serious pecking :D