Phosphorus

Ordered cube! Query about chickens?

Getting excited now as have just ordered a cube.

No chickens yet -waiting on run to be built and cube to arrive first as complete novice :?

The breeder we went to has Bovans, Marans, Skylines etc. She has recommended that we start with Bovans rather than the Black Rocks and Skyline that we were tempted by as they are friendlier (we have two young children).

Has anyone else started with Maran Coucous, Black Rocks etc - I would really like some speckled eggs and some blue ones (hence the Skyline) but wary as a novice. Lady said we could start with the Bovans and then come back in May when the POL BRocks and Skylines would be ready.

Thanks

Andrea

No chickens yet.

Run to be built.

(cube orange) due to arrive 26/3/08

Hi and congratulations on ordering your cube! :D

I originally started with 6 hybrids of different types and they were fine. I've recently bought 2 skylines and they are much more friendly than my other girls were.

I think each chicken is different rather than each breed. My advice is to go for what you want in the first place. It stops you having to introduce more later.

I would also go for a selection of different egg colour layers as it really helps when you know who's whos.

With regular gentle handling and treats most chickens will become friendly.

Good luck in deciding

Thanks for that, it really helps.

I really would like a mix of eggs and the hens the breeder was suggesting would give me vast numbers of brown :(

I am tempted to get a couple of the "friendly" ones for the children and then get a Maran if she has them as well for the speckled. I can't get the Skyline until May anyway as they aren't ready until then. :) OH is getting a Black Rock whatever anyone says as he is from Blackrock area of Dublin :D

Andrea

No chickens yet.

Run to be built.

I notice you have a bluebelle as well. What are these like? I appreciate all birds have their own character :D Wondered about these before but wasn't sure - I think the breeder is extra cautious - she doesn't really like Eglus either :roll:

Thanks

Andrea

No chickens yet.

Run to be built.

You will see my raving about my bluebelle on many postings! She is my most friendly chicken - always first to great me, easy to pick up and really friendly and of course she looks lovely as well (but of course I might be biased!)

I would definately recommend a bluebelle.

Tracy

I think the breeder is extra cautious - she doesn't really like Eglus either :roll:
*Groan* We've been there before. :lol:

Bovans Nera and Black Rocks are the same thing. They are lovely and friendly and a bit thick :lol: Ideal for a novice henkeeper.

I agree that Skylines have a reputation for skittishness, and only a 70% chance of laying blue eggs :( . The are pretty though....with an attractive hair do. :lol:

You can see from my sig that we got Black Rocks a Speckledy and a Bluebelle for our first time chooks at the weekend. The Bluebelle is the friendliest although I know it is early days yet. Our 'breeder' recommend them all for first time keepers. The only one she steered us away from were the Leg somethings!

Good luck with your selections :D