SeasideChick

Red Mite Powder

Apologies as I know this is a subject that's been talked about before .... but please can you advise:

I have bought some Barrier Red Mite Powder from Omlet. I don't have any mites currently but wanted to prevent a problem. Always feel prevention is better than cure!! :lol:

I understand I can dust the house after each clean (weekly) - shall I sprinkle some in their aubiose in their nesting box ... or underneath the aubiose ??? (I must sound a right div!!) ... but what about the birds??? It says to dust the birds .... but how often do I dust them ... or should I not dust them if they don't have any mites??? Hmmmm .... I really am a bit lost on this one ...

Also .... shall I sprinkle some powder into their tubtrug dust bath and then give it a good stir ... or just sprinkle it on the top and leave it??? :?:?

Your help, guys as always would be appreciated!! :D

Thanks!!!!

I think the mites mainly congregate around the nooks and crannies - so what I do after a 'big' clean' is sprinkle it all over the inside, including the nest box bit, concentrating on the ends of the roosting bars and the hard to reach places, like the crevice where the nexting box joins onto the Eglu.

I also sprinkled the girls last week, as a precaution really - they didn't mind too much until I rubbed it into their armpits! :lol: