Muppet81

Julie is looking poorly

Poor Julie. She is one of the two remaining from my original 6 ladies. I call them my "Golden Girls".

Up to last week she was looking wonderful and enjoying her dotage.

At the weekend her comb became tinged with purple and she developed the dreaded hunched and depressed look we all dread seeing.

She is still eating and drinking and at times comes to life and runs about with the others. Then she huddles down and dozes.

I hate to see her like this. She is one of my "special ladies".

We took her to the vets on Saturday am and he gave her a good check. He said she had a fast heart rate but no other obvious problems and just to give her TLC and keep an eye on her. Pretty sure it is just old age taking its toll as i thought it would be but just wanted the reassurance that I had not missed something obvious and horrible.

At the moment I am leaving her in with the other ladies as I supect she is happier there. I am having lots of chats with her and she is getting plenty of little treats.

Looks like the sad waiting game again :(:( I hate this part of keeping chickens.

Sorry to hear that Pam, but it does sounds like she is winding down. You have given her a wonderful life out of the cage and she has enjoyed it i'm sure.

Make a fuss of her as I'm sure you are. I sneak treats to mine when they are feeling poorly too :oops::wink:

I've got 'egg'actly the same problem with my hen Hetty. She is just over 3 years old. Is she classed as an old chicken??? Could she just be coming to the end of her days? I have no idea.

I am given her lots of attention. Any advice gratefully recieved.