Eggy-Bread

Help! Pooly Ingrid

Hi, just reading some other recent posts so I'm hoping that I've found the answer but can I tell you all about Ingrid anyway?

She's a brill layer - never misses a day - but she hasn't laid now for 3/4 days. She seems to want to as she spends a lot of time in the eglu (but she's not growly). She does scratch around the garden but not a lot and I haven't seen her eat any pellets either. When not in the eglu she often stands or crouches in a corner or under a bush and is all fluffed up and looks generally uncomfortable. Is she egg-bound, broody or ??? I've not managed to 'catch' a poo yet to check for worms. Really worried, please help.

If she was broody, she would be very reluctant to come off the nest.

I would check her over carefully for lice and mites as these can make them off colour. I would also worm her with flubenvet as a precaution, especially if she hasn't been wormed in the last couple of months.

If you think she is egg bound, examine her carefully . Look at her vent and feel around the lower part of her abdomen to see if there any obvious signs.

Also, if she is not eating, have a feel of her crop. It should still be fairly emptyish at this time of day. If it is full and hard, that may be where the problem lies.

Mady, Eglutine has given you good advice as always. My Sophia was eggbound and she was very poorly. She wouldn't scratch around the garden at all and in fact spent little time in the Eglu. She would come out and then sit. She also kept closing her eyes a lot and putting her head down. She wasn't interested in drinking or eating and I had to try to get her to drink with a syringe.

You say she hasn't laid in 3/4 days. She had missed one day only before we knew she wasn't "quite right". She wouldn't even come out of her run to free-range.

If in doubt I would perhaps take her to the vet? It cost us about £21 which I thought was really good as she got an emergency appointment on a Saturday morning.

Hope your chicken is soon better - thinking of you both.

Ali

PS if you look at my original post "Urgent advice - poorly chicken" one of our fellow omletters has given some very good advice about how to deal with an egg bound chicken.

Thank you both, I've had a good read of all your advice. I have been using Verm-X but it appears to not be rated very highly on the Forum, so it could be worms. I will dose the girls with Flubenvet and get some water into Ingrid. If that doesn't do the trick then it's off to the vets!

Will let you know how she gets on.