5fathens

hybrid hens lifespan?

4 years is seen as a good age, and is typically an average age.

Some buck the trend on both sides..... For example, I lost a hybrid at 24 weeks old and still have a 7 year old wandering around my garden :wink:

I think if we have our hybrids for over 4 years we can be very pleased :D

The designed lifespan is 18 months. Anything more is a bonus. We've never had one over 3 years and have stopped buying them.

That's not technically accurate.... The designed commercial lifespan Is 18 months. I.e. They go into "egg production" at 6 months and will lay at a high rate for 12 months... At 18 months they are viewed as "commercially spent" and go to slaughter. However, many can live for a good number of years after.

We currently have an ex batt who is close to her 3rd cage free anniversary, making her about 4 and a half. She's looking old now, but is still happy.

As Beantree says they are 'designed' to lay prolifically in the first year of laying and are usually culled in commercial chicken-keeping at around the end of that year.

Kept as domestic chickens I'd say the average is 2-2.5 years, of course it's an average and so some will live longer and some shorter than that. I've had one that lived to 7 and I have a 5 year old still laying.

thanks that's really helpful, I was beginning to think maybe we had had a batch that weren't so good as we lost a 2 years old this year and another 2 year old is looking a bit peaky today-

we have started giving her tonic but she hasn't laid for a few days and I wondered if she may be egg bound but from what's been said she may not lay so much now anyway....will keep an eye on her.....

we still have a 4.5, 3.5 and two other 2 year olds.....

I guess they are all different, certainly in personality anyway :)

My ex commercial girls have just celebrated a whole year of freedom, that makes them around toe and a half

They have pretty much stopped laying now, out of the four I might get one egg every four/five days.

Lazy ladies.....but they are enjoying their retirement

My original girls were 3xhybrids, lost Phoebe at 3, now Rachel & Monica are 5. Rachel has been lazing around since yesterday morning, still looks well but they conceal ailments. Do I leave her to rest or? How happy is a hen on her own? I have 7 in another coop but when I tried to mix at night Monica was aggressive.