Surfnirvana

Help - poorly Chicken - 5 days in!

Hi there

I've had my chickens for 5 days now and up until yesterday they were all really well and enjoying their new home.

However, Betty became very quiet last night and didn't go to bed by herself, so I helped her up the ladder.

This morning, unlike the others who couldn't wait to get out into the rain, Betty just stayed in the cube with her eyes closed and looked very sorry for herself.

Her symptoms:-

Lethargic, runny poo, not eating or drinking (made a few feeble attempts at the water), very sleepy.

I have bought her indoors and is now in the converatory in a cardboard box with water and grapes - she is just sleeping. She does have quite a full crop (its not hard) so I thought it might be compacted? We managed to pour a teaspoon of olive oil down her throat and I massaged the crop, but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Would really appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks so much

Lynne x

Just wanted to let anyone know who read my 1st note, that Betty is OK. :D

We left her for about 4 hours in the conservatory and gave her some water through a syringe every 30 minutes. She was very sleepy and crouched down, and didn't want to eat or drink.

However, the next time we looked, she had got out of her cardboard box and there was pecking at the door, looking at us in the lounge. She seemed so much better and when we went in there was a massive long soft egg on the floor which had burst with two yolks!

No wonder she was feeling a little off colour having a double yolker as your first egg! :shock:

We've put her back with the others and she is back to her normal self - eating and drinking.

Louis was clucking around so we put her in the cube nesting box and she started to scratch away in there - could be another egg on the way!!

:D