littleredhen

Poorly Peggy

Peggy is not at all well today, I had a feeling yesterday that something just wasn't right with her. This morning her crop was swollen, and what appeared to be vomit or diarrhoea in the eglu (sorry if you are eating your tea). I thought maybe it was sour crop but she had also laid part of a soft shelled egg. When I picked her up what looked like egg yolk came running out of her. She is standing all hunched up, not really eating or drinking. Her abdo is a bit swollen but she is not walking differently (as you would expect with egg peritonitis), she is very slow when she moves though. Some fluid has been coming out which looks more like very watery diarrhoea. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and what I can do to help her.

So sorry to hear this littleredhen. :(

It sounds like she has just passed a soft shelled egg. This can often make them feel really down in the dumps in the few days leading up to its expulsion and for a day or two after.

It seems to happen every so often for no real reason at all, but you may want to check you are not feeding them too many treats and that they are eating their pellets.

Keep an eye on her and hopefully she will seem a bit perkier tomorrow.

if not, do come back and we can get all our collective heads together to try to think of what else might be wrong with her.

Good luck

Well would you believe it she is fine today, running around as normal, eating and drinking as though nothing was ever wrong. These chickens are trying to turn me even greyer than I am already (under the hairdye!). I think it must just have been the soft-shelled egg that knocked her off her stride. Thanks for all the advice, this is such a great forum, you know you can always rely on someone helping you when you are worried.