Newgirl

Sleepy chicken

Hi there! I am a first time chicken owner and really need some advice please. The new girls arrived ten days ago. Two Miss Pepperpots and one Gingernut Ranger. The Pepperpots (Roxy and Chucky) have settled in really well and are perky, vocal and eat everything. The Gingernut (Ginger) has always been quieter and appears to be younger - no comb at all yet and smaller.

We have noticed that she has been sleepy the last few days and rather hunched up. She eats and drinks a little but today had a very messy white vent area and was very docile when I picked her up.

Has anyone got any tips as to what might be wrong with her. I havn't wormed any of them yet - are they already wormed when they come from Omlet?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

are they already wormed when they come from Omlet?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

See page 4 of this Omlet info. Says they "manure test" for worms and treat if found.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/files/public/omlet_risk_assessment_animals_schools.pdf

She may just be younger, or have a more upset tummy than the others and is just settling into her new home. However, hunched up sounds a little bit concerning. First thing I would do is ring Omlet and tell them about Ginger especially as you have only had her 10 days.

A worming course will do no harm at all. Buy some Flubenvet or Verm-X online. I personally use Flubenvet.

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/nsearch.aspx?keywords=flubenvet

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Chicken%20Extras&sub=Health&product_id=437

Make sure she is eating and drinking ok and keep an eye on her.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you have a poorly chicken so soon into your new hobby.

Great advice from Katy above. definitely ring Omlet and let them know your concerns and get them all wormed, just in case.

As she is so docile, get her out and have a really close inspection for lice too. They are really hard to spot, but can cause a chicken much unhappiness and suffering. Take a look at the stickies (posts which stay at the top of the forum), to find out more.

If she still has no comb, it will probably not be anything to do with egg production, so that narrows it down a bit. :roll:

If all else fails, a trip to the vets to get her generally checked over might be a good idea.

Good luck and do let us know how things are going. The more you can describe her symptoms, the more likely someone will come up with the answer. There are some very knowledgeable people here who all like to help out, so keep posting!