waders

Feather Pecking?

Hi everyone,

Little advice needed about feather pecking. I have read lots of threads on here about anti-pecking spray and bits just so I could be better informed but my girls have been fine together. The pecking order was established without too much bloodshed quite early on. There is no doubt that Betty is the boss, she lays every day, was the first to come into lay and is the biggest. She always gets to the food first and the others stand back politely waiting to be given permission! :lol:

Pearl was her side kick and they both used to gang up on Minnie, pecking at her if she got too close. But now I think she has slipped down the pecking order. She is quite small compared to the other two. (She reminds of one of those sad little girls in the old photographs of poor children, my daughter calls her S"Ooops, word censored!"py!) They both still peck at Minnie if she gets too close - Betty is quite fond of pecking at Minnie's comb, but no blood so far.

Today they were all in the kitchen to get out of the rain! They came in, mooched around a bit and then started preening. They were all in a group preening and I noticed that Pearl was pecking at Betty but Betty wasn't paying any attention. It really looked like Pearl was preening Betty! :shock:

Do they do that? Preen each other? I've not seen it happen before, I don't think it was proper feather pulling because it was like Pearl wasn't really trying if you know what I mean? :?

Was Pearl just trying to curry favours with Betty?

Later when I put them to bed with their treat, yet again Pearl wouldn't go in and when she did she started scratching around instead of eating the treats. I give them 3 separate bowls to make sure they all get some as originally they kept Minnie away from it, but Betty usually samples all three first and then deigns to let the others have some. I suppose she wants to make sure she's not missing out!

Sorry to ramble (I've warned you all before that I tend to do that!) but my question is has Pearl slipped down the pecking order? Is the 'preening' just that or the start of feather pecking?

Should I keep a closer eye on things? Pearl only lays every other day, should I take her aside and give her some TLC?

Lisa :?

Thanks Egluntine,

I have always had a soft spot for Minnie and have tended to spoil her but now I feel guilty that I've neglected Pearl.

Do your girls preen each other?

Whilst writing this my daughter has admitted to spoiling Pearl so that sort of makes up for it! She sneaks her into the kitchen when I'm not looking, shuts the others out and then spoils her! At least she's getting some fussing!

Do you think she only lays every other day because she is so small?

When they do feather pull I imagine that it is quite deliberate and not the gentle stuff that was going on this afternoon? Accompanied by lots of squawking?

Lisa

:)

When they do feather pull I imagine that it is quite deliberate and not the gentle stuff that was going on this afternoon? Accompanied by lots of squawking?

Lisa

:)

My two will preen each other while they're out in the garden and usually when they're both a bit soggy (not sure why), but as you say this is a gentle tweaking! You'll know if it's feather pulling because it is a deliberate stab and twist which ends up with a feather literally being yanked out - not nice to watch.