jess

Does anyone have any success stories for introducing?

I am trying to introduce a new hen and it is not really going very well but it has only been a day so far so fingers crossed!!!

I have been reading all the threads on introducing and they are all quite gloomy, does anyone have any examples of hens finally getting on so I can have my faith restored?

When I introduced Treacle and Toffee to my surviving Scully last Autumn, Scully picked on them both initially, but quickly accepted Treacle (I think because she was a lot like Mulder who was killed by a fox). Then it was Scully and Treacle who were picking on Toffee. It took around three weeks to fully settle down. Now they are all the best of friends.

When I got my Silkies, earlier this year, I did the introductions more gradually and it has been much better. Some pecking, but nothing like as awful as when I literally threw Treacle and Toffee in the deep end of the eglu run.

Be patient and let them sort it out, unless it gets bloody. Try to give the new girl(s) some quality time if you can. Good luck! :)

dont give up i was like with my wyndotty, she would sit on the coop all day away from the others, i had to put food up there for her etc, now she lives with them is part of the pack etc, took ages and we was beginning to think we would have to let her go to another home, as she wasnt being taken in.

i have now introduced 2 others since, and they are great

i threw amelia and puffball in 'at the deep end' as you put it and although puffy is a bit of an outcast i think this is because she is a bantam and the rest are hens.

my wyndotty is a bantam, the rest 1 is a bantam silki, but thinks she is a big girl :wink:

if like u i let my others free range and put the new girls in there run for a bit till bed time then they all go bed together been pretty good that way

we introduced two silkies to our existing brood of one bantam hen and two bantam cockerels a few months back. There was a bit of chasing ( more from the new ones !) and I was worried as I didnt read up on introducing hens beforehand and just put them in. But after a night together they were much better. The next day there was just the odd peck and now they live happily together!!! Dont know if we got off lightly or not but it was definately no horror story! :)

I have done intros three times now and it has gone well each time.

I have found the best way for me is to do it slowly, especially with just one new hen.

I put the new ones in an Eglu very near to the others so that they can hear, see and smell each other for a few days. There will be some pecking through the bars, but at least they offer some protection.

I sprinkle treats along the perimeter of the run so that they get used to eating together, and then when I feel the time is right I let them free range together, There is often a nasty half hour or so. I stand by with a broom to separate any vicious fights.

If blood is drawn I would separate the new girl for a few more days and then try again.

I find this method has worked well for me. If the free ranging goes well, I let the new girl(s) bunk up with the old ones at night, and so far so good.

Here are a couple of pics of my latest addition, Piper, with the other girls. She still tends to be on the periphery, but is accepted by the others now.

Piper005-1.jpg

Piper001-1.jpg

She is the dark one with light hackle feathers. Formerly Beauty_Box's Speckle.

I sprinkle treats along the perimeter of the run so that they get used to eating together, and then when I feel the time is right I let them free range together, There is often a nasty half hour or so. I stand by with a broom to separate any vicious fights.

I introduced 1 to 3, and a few months later 1 to 4, on both occasions I just let them all in together. There was a "ruck" for a good 20 minutes/half an hour followed by the occasional peck but they've all settled in quickly.

I'm a believer in "let them get on with it" they'll sort it out, doing what comes naturally to chickens "Pecking Order" rather than the seperate living/eating/drinking/sleeping lifestyle which still appears to have the half hour of vicious fights before they all settle down.

Thanks for all your stories it has definitely inspired me to not give up with my hens! It's hard to see your lovely docile hens turn into bullies you hardly recognise. I think I'll bookmark this thread and read it daily!!!

xxx