Nature Chick

Update on Blondie - BACK TO VETS??

I posted last week to say that the normally nosiy Blondie was quiet and lethargic, I rushed her to the vets on Thursday night who said she had an infection and probably wouldn't make it :cry:

By Friday she couldn't hold her head up and was in a veggie box filled with Aubiose on my sittingroom floor. However after her antibiotics and me forcing her to drink plenty of water her temperature went down yesterday and she felt well enough to eat some worms. This morning I gave her the last of the antibiotics and she tried to stand :D she fought me as I gave her water which is always a good sign!

I am after advice on what to tempt her with to eat - I can't keep digging for worms and she won't touch pellets or pellet porridge or sweetcorn (usual favourite) or even dried mealworms!!!!! She ate some rice this morning but if anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Today was the day I was going to have to put her to sleep if she didn't make progress so I will call the vet and ask for advice and to tell him the good news!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Guest

Hi NatureChick

Hows it going with Blondie?

Sounds as if you are doing really well with her.

There is a powder called critical care that you can put in their water. I used this when my pepperpot was unwell with an infection.

Also I read some where that wax worms were quite good as they are full of protein and were good for birds off their food as they dont need to eat many.

Hopefully some one will come along shortly with a more experienced answer for you.

Wishing Blondie well"!

Thank you so much for the advice, I have some shopped tomaotes so I will try those tonight - She tucked into some rice this morning but I am just worried that it won't give her much nutrition - I guess I have to be thnkful she is eating something!

One thing I am concerned about is that she now has the strength to stand (bit wobbly) but she is obviously uncomfortable and her vent is twitching, she occaisionaly has somewhat explosive watery poos but I am worried it might be an egg. she still has three days of antibiotics so I guess I have to be patient! She is really resisting me now, the vet said she should be drinking 100ml water per day, in the early days I was syringing this much into her beak over the course of the day but now she is feeling a bit better I am only managing 20ml as she gets so cross. She has fresh water in her box so hopefully she is drinking when I am not looking!

I will investigate wax worms and that water additive......

...thanks again

xx

Try mixing a tiny amount of honey in her water. A small amount won't do her any harm and it does have healing properties.

Can you get hold of white maggots from a fishing shop? They will go down well. Or rinsed tuna?

Hope she continues to improve.

C x

Blondie has made real progress and was on her feet on Wednesday night - Yesterday she had her first day outside - I made a little run around their old house - thought she was too weak to go back in with the others but I am bringing her in to the kitchen at night :D . As well as she is doing she is still very swollen down below - she finishes her antibiotics today so I am starting to worry again!

I read on one post that the vet drained fluid - do you think I need to take her back and see if she needs this? LAst week when she saw him, he did an internal exam but didn't drain any fluid - arghh I am fretting - don't want to lose her now after she has put up such a fight.

:?