blondie

identifying the problem

My two girls (Betty and Blondie) are about 2 yrs old now, Betty stopped laying a little while ago and started to look a bit 'untidy'. I assumed she was moulting. We are now several weeks on she is still very scraggy around the neck and pretty bald on her central breast area. Where her skin is exposed she is a little red in places and she continues not to lay.

I've looked at the information about mite and lice then gone and had a good look at her (much to her disgust!). But all I can see is grit from her dust bath earlier today (right in the middle of the lupins :cry: ).

Blondie by contrast is well, fully feathered and laying regularly - we even had a double yolk from her last week.

Any guidance? :?:

Mites are difficult to see with a naked eye so it might be worth treating her for mites just in case. They leave the skin looking featherless and red. An infestation can lead to a stop in egg production. Battle's Poultry tonic contains iron so if she's a bit low, it might be worth adding some to their drinking water to give her a little boost.