AJuff

Scrappy hens

First three girls had a mega moult loosing neck, stomach and body feathers. They laid no eggs during that time and I thought things were back to normal when they came back into lay. However that was back in Jan/Feb time and they still are missing lots of feathers.

Then we got a feather pecking girl and they all lost their fluffy bottoms. Bumper bit fitted and fluffy bottoms returned within two weeks.

They still haven't grown back the feathers on thier necks and bottoms. They look a right mottely crew all very s"Ooops, word censored!"py.

They have plenty of tuna for protein, poultry spice for added vitamins and plenty of fresh greens from the veg patch. They have recently been wormed and sprayed for lice.

What am I doing wrong? :?

I had one hen who was badly pecked, and she has never grown her feathers back.

I think it is possible that if the feathers are constantly pulled and re-pulled, they may stop growing altogether. She has had a bald side and bottom for many months now: all she has grown is a strange bit of fluff in the wrong place, and some long whiskery bits of fluff like wiry hair.

Poor girls, but it does sound like you've done everything you can :( I think that they don't normally regrow feathers constantly. I had a girl who looked very straggly for ages, then next time she moulted - what a transformation! Looked gorgeous with a full set of fluff and silky top feathers! 8) So you might have to wait for a moult again to see any real improvement. :D