Troy

shaking head question pls...

Hi all

Does anyone know what might be troubling our little Pekin. We've had her for just over a week now and did'nt notice when we were picking her up that she'd had a long bout of scaly leg that was not treated. Although its being treated now (we are doing all the others too with Ivermectin) I have noticed that she is also losing her feathers around her head and is constantly shaking it. I'm guessing she has a louse issue but I would have though the Ivermectin would have dealt with it.??

This is ivermectin 0.8% and I was told to give 1drop on the neck per bird and to repeat after one month. The bottle says 1drop per week for 3 weeks?? getting very confused. Which should it be??

If she has got some sort of feather mite should I perhaps not continue with the Ivermectin and get something else that one of you might suggest??

Also she and the other Pekin both have dirty feathers at the back. I've had a look at their vents but both seem clean/clear. Would this suggest worming is required or is it just that they have such full plumage and it gets dirty? All the others are clean.

Funnily enough they are both laying every day.

Pls help and advise??

Troy

Maybe she has a problem with her ears?

Did you get the Ivermectin from the vet?

The strength you are using is for Rabbits and guinea pigs to treat mange mites and lice.

**Ivermectin is not licensed for treating Poultry in the UK** and there is an egg withdrawal period during treatment and 1 week after.

I use the cattle Ivomec Eprinex *not licensed for treating Poultry in the UK

And that seems fine. I would take her right back to the breeder and insist on a replacement, also take with you the receipts for any medication you've bought - any reputable breeder will offer to refund any costs.

Good luck Troy and let us know how you get on.

Egluntine with all the countless books I've read etc I hav'nt come across anything regarding ears ?? What should I be looking for, you have my ears!!?

The Ivermectin is from Thornes Poultry centre. and the box states large birds also. They advised me on the 1 drop with a repeat in 1 month (egg withdrawal was advised too) but as I mentioned its all too vague and I don't know anyone else who has used this on their hens and probably feel more comfortable starting a course of Ivomec Eprinex, as most of you have used and recommended it.

Claret - wouldnt that just be the sensible thing to do!! But taking her back is something I now can't possibly do to my 8yr old daughter. She waited 6 weeks for her until our cube arrived etc and Lilly sits on her lap for treats and lets you stroke her.

My sensible head tells me to create merry hell with this breeder. (registered and everything) but I also feel that I should give Lilly a chance and my best shot to restore her health - I'd feel horribly guilty if I sent her back from whence she came.

Any info as to why she might be losing her head feathers and shaking her head would be great.

Many thanks

troy

You can still create with the breeder and keep your bird - call them up and tell them what it going on, the situation regards your daughter (hence not being happy to return the bird), and ask that they cover vets fees so that you can get her looked at.

On another tack, does the breeder have another, identical bird? Perhaps you could do a swap while your daughter is at school.

Birds get ear infections and irritations just like other creatures, she may be shaking her head because of that.

In your situation, I'd either take her back or get the breeder to stand for the vets fees. She obviously needs treatment, and wihout seeing her, it's not easy to say what might be wrong.

Egluntine with all the countless books I've read etc I hav'nt come across anything regarding ears ?? What should I be looking for, you have my ears!!?

They can get ear infections, caused often by mites.

Look out for a yukky substance in the ear.

I've used the ivermectin 0.8% successfully in the past (not licensed for poultry) :wink:

I've also known people who have used a drop of ivermectin horse wormer too.

I am sure it will do the same as the Eprinex, but is probably slightly weaker and I would imagine probably safer if it is meant for small animals rather than cattle :?:

my fat hen!!!!! wow you are the first I've come across that has used the Ivermectin 0.8%!

Can you remember what the required dosage was when you administered it?

Are Thornes accurate? (why would'nt they be I guess) but I would love some confirmation from others that have used this.

I'm assuming the dosage given for infestation is different to a routine prevention.