KTee

Chicken standing with feathers fluffed and tail held high

We have a problem with a 1yr old Gingernut Ranger. She appeared perfectly OK a few hours ago. She laid as usual this morning. But a couple of hours ago I noticed that she was standing still, feathers fluffed up, blinking very slowly and just occasionally pecking the ground. Her vent appears normal. Her crop is small but hard. Everything else about her appears normal.

She had the usual layers pellets this morning and her last food was a mash of cooked rice, apple, pear and toast. The other 3 hens are as normal.

Could she have an impacted crop? I expected that it might be large if that were the problem but it isn't.

EDIT:- It is now 10pm, the run is under trees so it's now quite dark and she is sitting in the run outside the Eglu, the others are all inside.

oh dear she doesnt sound well does she? :(

Unfortunately I dont have any experience with crop problems.

Has she laid today? as standing hunched and still could mean a soft shelled egg on the way.

She laid her usual large egg this morning and seemed quite normal until a couple of hours ago.

What a relief. I approached the run in trepidation this morning only to find Rosie up and about, not quite the usual sparkle but 6 hrs later she seems back to normal. She is feeding and dancing about as per usual. :o

Perhaps it WAS impacted crop and it has cleared.

No egg but that's hardly surprising and unimportant.

Phew!!

Thanks for your concerns.