craftyhunnypie Posted June 14, 2008 Share Posted June 14, 2008 Hi - I'm chick sitting for my sitter. They hatched Thursday night & early hours yesterday. They are gorgeous! The father is a Vorwerk & the mothers are Amber star & Warren. I have white, gingery & ginger with black stripes chicks. They were brought to me in their special chick box (from Wernlas) & put in my brooder. I have them until next weekend, as my sister has gone to Cornwall & trusted me more than her mother in law to look after them. They are quite lively this morning & have started pecking at the chick crumbs & drinking. She has another 12 eggs due to hatch next weekend, but the gamekeeper has those in his special incubator & will see that the hatch goes well. It's nice having chicks in the house again. I have eggs of my own to candle this weekend too. Fingers crossed they are fertile, as I could hatch some blue egg layers. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted June 14, 2008 Share Posted June 14, 2008 How lovely Will you be able to give them back though Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BeckyBoo Posted June 14, 2008 Share Posted June 14, 2008 How lovely, I would LOVE a blue egg layer - my Araucauna egg didn't hatch but I have got a cream legbar that came from a very bluish egg so I've got my fingers crossed. Watch them closely, they grow SO fast - ours are now 7 days old and they already little wings and stubby little proper feathers. Hatching chicks has been one of the best things I think I have EVER done! How are you going to give them back? Mrs B Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 15, 2008 Author Share Posted June 15, 2008 It will be very difficult to hand them back! I can already see the little quills of their wing feathers & some ' bum fluff' sprouting from them. They are beautiful. Will be candling my eggs tonight, so I suppose that will make it a bit easier to hand back the chicks, knowing that I've got some due soon. But I have fell in love with one of these in particular. My sister calls it Magica, after Mr. magica - because it head a sticky up bit on its head when hatched. They are very lively today, as they have gained more balance on their little tiny orange feet. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 18, 2008 Author Share Posted June 18, 2008 Well I've really loved chick sitting them, but the time has come tomorrow for my sister to collect them & take them home. I've got quite attatched to them. They all have little wing feathers & bum fluffy tail feathers starting. I think they are all the same sex, whatever that may be, as all feathering up at the same rate & the same places. So sad that I have to hand them back - but loved having them. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted June 18, 2008 Share Posted June 18, 2008 It's a shame you have to hand them back but hopefully you'll have some more of your own soon Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...