Chickaboo Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 The girls were out in the garden last week, I was upstairs getting dressed, and suddenly there was a load of sqawking and flapping so I raced down (in my underwear - so hope the neighbours weren't watching ) expecting Mr fox. But to find nothing except 2 very upset chickens (luckly), they were absolutly terrified for days after, and I have only just let them out unattended as could only assume a fox could cause such distress - and they are not bothered by cats. OH rightly pointed out that if it was a fox, why didn't it get them. Anyway, yesterday evening we were sitting outside, and a big hawk type bird came swooping down into the garden, and I now think this is what it was. But could a bird like this attack or take off with a chicken?? My dad said he has seen it happen before, but that was in Africa Does anyone know? Do I have to worry about air attack now as well? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I can't say for certain whether a bird of prey would be able to kill a chicken but it would not surprise me. We have buzzards in our area and the wild birds make a real racket when they are overhead. The girls haven't noticed them yet but I am always apprehensive when they are around. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I'm sure there was a post about birds of prey and chickens. I'll have a look for it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I've found a few that might be of interest: http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12665&highlight=hawk http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3501&highlight=kestrel http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4332&highlight=kestrel http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1197&highlight=kestrel http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24019&highlight=hawk http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21861&highlight=hawk Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted June 25, 2008 Share Posted June 25, 2008 I lost two young bantams last year and I am sure that they were taken by a bird of prey. My neighbours have actually seen a sparrowhawk take a dove from their garden on more than one occasion. I think that a chicken may be too big to be taken by a bird of prey, but a bantam may be at risk. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...