Butty

minimum height for a free ranging area fence?

Hi there

Had chooks a week now :D and am hoping to fence of part of the garden for them to free range. Is there a minimum height for a boundary fence?

They would only be out when we are around so foxes etc. shouldn't be a problem.

Hi! thats what we are going to do, we did have 4ft fencing around one side of the garden but they found a tree  stump (unfortunately next to the fence) and they hopped onto it and then onto the top of the fencing! they both have one of their wings clipped so shouldn't actually be flying but they still seem fairly agile! we are re-evaluating the situation promptly! good luck x  :D

Carole x

Hi Butty.

I use Omlet netting (see shop). It's just a few inches short of 4 ft. As it's flexible the girls don't try and fly over it as it's not as stable as a normal fence. I have had 1 escape where they used the eglu as a lauch pad to fly over it, so I had to move the eglu.

My girls have 1 clipped wing and can still clear 4 ft as they regularily got into my hubbies fenced off veg patch, but interestingly since the Omlet netting went up, I've only had 1 escape.

100_2404.jpg