gemschooks

wobbly chicken

Hi all

I'm back on about my girl addy, who you may recall had a droopy, fanned wing....the wing doesn't seem to have improved and today she looks very shaky on her feet and keeps falling over, a bit like me after a few too many vodkas!

I thought she wasn't being picked on, but she's def being bullied at the moment, which may not be helping re the wing healing. I guess carrying a heaving wing around is likely to make her a bit off balance, but I'm seriously thinking she might need the vets tomorrow - I didn't want to take her unless it seemed necessary as I know it will be stressful for her (and me!) but watching her fall over is making me very concerned. Tried to examine her earlier and all i could see was a gristle-type lump under her wing.

Has anybody got any thoughts? Thanks

gem x

Hi Gem,

She doesnt sound her usual self does she? :(

If i were you i would bring her inside for the night and give her lots of TLC - feed her some of her favourite treats and offer her some water. If she has been bullied she may not be getting to the food & drink as often as she would like. Pop her in a box with some straw and make her feel comfy.

Being off her legs can mean many different things and if her wing is still not better and you can feel a little lump its best that she does see a vet.

Do you have the girls registered with a vet? :?

The 608 group are good. Just let me know if you need their number or you could google them - they have clinics in most areas of Birmingham :D

just wanted to update you on progress....

took adriana to vets today - he said that it's a nerve problem which causes shaking in legs and sagging of wings. He reckons that it's probably to do with her age. Anyhow, he didn't seem very optimistic about rehab but has prescribed anti-inflammatories and suggested I bring her in and separate her from the other girls until she 's a bit brighter.

Adriana didn't look at all good at the vets - she couldn't stand up bless her.I was so worried he was going to tell me she had to be put own :cry:

thanks for all your help

xx

hi ems

it was a bloke called Roy (i think) at amicus in shirley. A called a few local vets who suggested him. I didn't really want to take her that far, but apparently he's "experienced with chickens"!

Well, Adriana has been in overnight and seems to be worse. I don't think the slippy kitchen laminate floor is doing her any favours and she's not best pleased with being separated from the others. After several escapes from her makeshift bed box, she did appear to stay in all night. However, she seemed better before, so now I'm not sure if I should be keeping her in?? I think she likes running around with the others girls :?

arrrggghhh. it's a dilemma.I really want to help her get better!

ah help!!

I just let adriana out with other girls for them to spend some time together, bonding and to cheer up adriana, but they all started ganging up on her. Is this because they've now been separated? I know they have bullied her a little before, but i've never seen them gang up like that. I really don't want to her to get split from the others because she seems quite lonely and sad since i brought her in - she always looked in good spirits before even when she was wobbly.

How do I deal with this?Help!!

Thanks

Gemma

It is because they have been separated.....and possibly because the know she isn't well.

You can either supervise them and deal with any bullys, or go for the slow into as outlined in the FAQs.

If you leave her out with them, make sure she can get away from any unwanted attention. If she can't escape, for hatever reason, she woud be better separate, but where she can see them.

Gem,

I have a spare dog crate if you want to borrow it?

That way you can leave her outside but next to the other girls knowing she will be safe.

I have seen the same vet you did and TBH even though he is very knowledgable i find he is a bit down on ex-battery girls. :?

Has he given you Baytril? :?

Hi guys

just wanted to let you all know that adriana seems to have picked up a lot - she's been on anti-inflammatory meds plus homeopathic remedies and thanks to emma (the herd) has been staying alongside the others in a dog crate but sleeping with the girls at night. This seemed the best combo as she still got to feel part of the gang but minimised bullying.

I'm hoping that she'll keep getting stronger and will soon be back in the main house.

Thanks for all your advice

gem x