Martin KT

Hunchback Chicken

Hi,

One of my Gingernut Rangers has spent the last 4 hours looking very sorry for herself. She is very lethargic and stands and sits with the feathers on her back raised, looking like a hunchback. Any ideas what can be the problem?

She did the same thing a couple of days ago, but seemed to recover after a few hours. She didn't lay that day, but seemed to lay as normal the day after (this morning). Now it's happening again, I'm getting more worried - and I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow leaving the chooks in the care of a neighbour.

She's still eating and drinking and I haven't noticed any unusual droppings. Don't know if it's relevant but there was a firework party in the village last weekend (after the chooks had gone to bed) with lots of load bangs.

Thanks,

Martin[/img]

Martin, I'm no expert so may be barking up the wrong tree here, but some hens can look hunched and poorly if they are laying softies. She may have eaten then before you noticed (mine eat them within seconds) and laid a normal one in between.

Take a look at this post in the FAQ section.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4720

If she is young, she may just be settling into laying. But if older, you may want to make sure she has plenty of mixed grit whilst you are away and add some Limestone Flour (buy from horse supply shops) to the feed for extra calcium.

Thanks.

The other day when this first happened I did notice something looking like an egg lying on the grass, but as I was bathing the kids at the time it was an hour or so before I could get outside to look. By the time I did, the egg (or whatever it was) had completely gone. I didn't realise chooks could eat softies, so thought no more of it. However, the appearance of the egg did coincide with the seemingly miraculous recovery last time this happened, so it looks like you've hit on the explanation. :D

I'll make sure I up the calcium in their diet.

Thanks again,

Martin