Jen&Rog

Strange dropping (or egg?) - anyone experienced this before?

Hi All

I noticed a very nasty-looking dropping/egg yesterday and I'm wondering if this could be a clue as to why one of my ex-batts died suddenly on Monday night :cry: . (Yes I was a bit slow in cleaning out the droppings tray :oops: )

At first sight it resembled a large, perfectly round, dark red grape, about 3cm in diameter. It had a thick crispy 'shell' with just yolk inside. The red 'shell' looked bloody - looked to have 'veins' or small blood vessels.

My hen was ordinarily very perky and healthy but had started laying softees, which made her very low.. I can't say for sure that she laid this, but her two room-mates did two perfect eggs yesterday.

If anyone has any experience/knowledge of this please let me know, I've certainly never come across this before.

Alas no photos of the offending object. After rooting around fastidiously in the compost heap last night (what my new neighbours must think of me :roll: ), it has completely vanished.

Never mind, I don't think I'll get to the bottom of this. At least my remaining hens are all very healthy.