desteys_jazz

hen is completely bald underneath!!!!

Hi everyone,

i've got 2 of my own hens and am looking after my brother in laws 3 hens for the week. the 5 hens actually started off together in febuary when he got them but decided 5 was to many so we had 2 off of him. 2 of the hens have settled in really well but one hasn't. shes loosing some feathers and has gone completely bald underneath. she also seems to be nesting and won't come out of nesting box unless i literally remove her myself. and is sitting on the eggs. i can't tell if shes actually laying her self or not as shes sitting on the other chooks eggs as well.

any advice would be apreciated.

many thanks

Emma x

Sounds like she may be broody, to me. Broody hens often pluck the feathers off their chest themselves when they are broody. If she's on the nest constantly, you need to make sure you move her off to eat and drink, which sounds like you are. If you need to snap her out of the phase there are some good links in the FAQ about this. Good luck. :)