Chicken Lady

leaking egg?

I'm having a string of problems with my favourite chook, my Buff Sussex (Buffy to her friends :D )

she started with white mite - isolated her and treated her, it seems to be over now and she's looking a lot better. While I was at it I dosed her fairly strongly for other mites (I've been battling an infestation in my whole flock but think I have it under control now, touch wood).

Then we had a little problem with a prolapse which eventually went back in of its own accord.

Since then, she's been putting on weight and generally looking fine, to the point where I've decided it's nearly time to put her back in with the rest.

She's been off lay through all of this, apart from two weeks ago when she laid a very odd papery sort of egg (not thin-shelled, just rough-shelled).

Now she's looking very preoccupied and obviously straining to lay an egg - which is putting her in danger of a prolapse again but so far, so good - but what's really worrying me is that every time she strains, she's passing what looks like bits of egg. As in, clear albumen-like stuff and pale yellowy stuff (sorry about this).

Could an egg have broken inside her? and if so what do I do? :shock:

So far have just been down and washed her off with warm salty water and vaselined her backside (as much to prevent the prolapse as anything else).

I'm just hoping this isn't the last straw - we've nursed her through this far and I so don't want to lose her...

It does sound like it. All you can really do is observe her and hope that she passes what is left of the shell.

I wouldn't attempt to tinker about inside her in case matters are made worse.

Sounds as if a bit of extra calcium will help her, to strengthen the contractions and firm up the shells, making the eggs easier to pass.

Limestone Flour, available from equestrian shops is a useful addition to their diet for this reason.

If she still seems in distress tomorrow, I would recommend that you seek the opinion of a vet as the broken egg could be a source of infection.

good news! after a dicey day or so she perked up and I assume has got rid of whatever it is. So my beloved fluffy knickers lady is still with us.. and in fact quite back to her normal self.

Such a relief when they pull through these things...

thanks for the tip on limestone flour - we have a good equestrian supplier near us so will get some asap.