Troy

Mareks disease...

How familiar is anyone with Mareks disease???

It would be interesting to have a collection of information on this disease as it manifests in a number of ways that can go amiss and many birds are carriers.

I've spoken to some poultry breeders who have confirmed that they dont vaccinate their pure breeds and some are even reluctant to, because they dont wish to introduce a resistance strain into their flocks.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with this and would like to share?

Troy

From what i understand about Mareks is that embryos can be infected in the egg and fatality happens within 20 odd weeks. Although birds can be immunised against the disease it can still take hold if the bird is run down. Therefore making sure that the bird is properly wormed is as important as innoculations. As you say the disease manifests itself in a number of ways and therefore diagnosis can only be achieved after death by autopsy.

edit/ to say that 2 of the birds that i have had may have had Mareks, both died in different ways. First was instant death syndrome and the other was when the bird kept loosing balance and wobbling. Both birds were under 30 weeks old.

Last August I bought my 1st 4 chickens (bantams). They were sold at 12 weeks. At about 18 weeks we noticed the classic case of mareks on one of our birds in that it couldn't walk, floppy neck muscles and leg twisted. We hand feed her for 3 weeks as we had read that it is possible for a bird to get over this but usually they die from starvation because they cannot get to food and she did recover to our delight. A month after that our 2nd one went down with it. She was just a little sebright with not much fat on her anyway and rapidly went downhill. Then a 3rd one came down with it. However she seemed a lot stronger and we eventually took her to the vet. The vet said that whilst she was strong keep trying but she did not hold out much hope. She said even if she did recover sometimes a little way down the line she will develop tumours. Unfortunately we think this is what happened. She got very wobbley on her legs, lost her sight and had bright green poo. Eventually we culled her.

We researched into introducing new birds into a stock which has had the disease and found out that the older the bird introduced the better because it would have built up its immunity. Therefore we introduced 2 new birds who were 24 weeks old. Unfortunately due to a prolapse and a dog these 2 did not last but they did not show any signs of getting the disease.

So that has left one original bird who is possibly a carrier. We have now introduced 2 new girls (18 weeks at introduction) and we will wait to see. They are now 20 weeks and redding up so possibly going to lay soon which is when the disease may show itself again - when they are stressed.

We have researched into vaccinated chickens but apparently there are so many different strains that a lot of breeders do not think it is worthwhile. A few breeders also gave their opinion that they would not sell chickens under 18 weeks because of the stress it gives chickens and the fact that they have not built up their immunity yet.

I know this might sound mean, but its good to know that some one else has also been through the same thing and that stories can be shared. For a while there I thought I was the only one on the forum dealing with Mareks.

Its the not knowing that does your head in, especially when the birds are really trying to fight it.

I'm now certain that Gwen did have Mareks, especially Lo, because you mentioned bright green poos which only started for Gwen yesterday morning before the trip to the vets and other symptoms being identical. Plus on closer inspection we discovered the most horrendous tumours. She was riddled with them, one the size of a small rubber ball that you could pinch into your hand. (See post My lovely gwen has gone) Unfortunately our vet was not sure at the time and we had battled to nurse Gwen for nearly 3 weeks...I hope she didnt suffer...

Vaccinations are apparently 50/50 now as the virus has mutated enough to begin a resistance to it and you are right many breeders do not think its not worthwhile. Also I find there are 6 different strains that manifest themselves in different ways. Blindness being one of them. :(

Its all very sad really as this morning I miss her terribly tapping on the patio door what with that gorgeous golden colour and typical Wyandotte bum:(

On a positive note however, I suppose we now know what and how Mareks disease manifests itself and I, like yourself, will be more prepared to deal with it.

I think the more people that share their stories the more others will be informed and able to recognise this horrible disease.

It sounds like you have had a rough ride with this too Lo and I wish you the best of luck with your new girls.

A very sad Troy