MissIndie

Poorly chicken

Hi - one of my girls (Miley) has been under the weather for a good couple of weeks now and I'm at a loss as to what it could be.  She is eating and drinking but doesn't scratch around much like the others and will go off and stand by herself.  The others aren't bullying her but she seems to be selective with what she eats. She seems to want grass or greens more than pellets.  I let them in the garden a couple of days ago and she was back to her old self - scratching around and eating.  I've checked her over and her crop does look as though it doesn't empty as quickly as the other girls so I'm not sure if she has an impact or pendulous crop.  I've tried giving her kefir yoghurt (which she loves) but have stopped that for a few days as seen that lactose isn't good for them.  I've tried treating her for coccidiosis but am reluctant to try any other treatments at the moment as don't want to upset her system anymore.  I've also checked her vent and doesn't feel egg-bound.  Any suggestions as to what else I can possibly do will be most welcomed.  Thank you!

She doesn't sound too poorly. For the crop I'd simply lightly massage it because there may be a small solid lump of undigested food in there which is rotten? When they know their system isn't right they will eat grass to clear it out; unfortunately that can just make things worse because it can sit in the crop and block it. Not eating pellets can be because they have been bullied off the feeder previously as well. The solution there is to provide another feeder and drinker. I would avoid yoghurt and if the crop is too hard to massage give her a few drops of water until it softens (not too quickly because she could choke). What are her poos like? It won't be coccidiosis unless her poos are bloody. Don't try anything else at the moment.

Thank you Beantree. I've brought her in and given her some scrambled egg with a little olive oil which she has scoffed. She's drinking and has had some pellets. Her poo is fine no blood but not very much of it. I think I'll keep her in tonight and give her little massages. She's very up and down so I think a night resting may help. Thanks for your advice.