Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi everyone

We are new to the forum

My husband and I live in suburban Sydney, Australia

We had been researching Chicken coops for 3 years and decided that Omlet’s Eglu cube Mk2 with coop light and automatic door was exactly what we wanted. Although just as we ordered it Covid 19 happened so it took another 3 - 4 months for the set up to arrive.

The cube is situated under a mature Jacaranda tree with raised garden beds nearby.

The chickens have access to parts of the garden for foraging and dust bathing and a section of the large lawn.

We bought…

• Eagle Cube Mk2 with 3m Run and Wheels - Perfect for 3 chickens, amazingly easy clean!!
  • 2m Combi Cover for Eglu Cube - Fantastic for shade for summer and winter sun without rain. (see pics in Summer and Winter position)
  • Windbreak for Eglu Cube Mark 2 - Fantastic for winter and August winds.
  • Automatic Chicken Coop Door with coop light - We would not be owning chickens without this door.
  • Omlet chicken perch - Head chook loves this
  • Extreme Temp blanket with bungees - We live in a hollow with frost in winter.
  • Pendant peck toy - Our girls love their treats in this.
  • Caddie Treat holder x 2  - Perfect for kitchen scraps on rotation.

We had never owned chickens before but had done a lot of research before buying them . We used golf balls to teach them where to lay and this worked a treat.

Our family loves Star Wars so our Hyline Brown chickens are called........

1. ChuBokka
  2. Hens Solo
  3. Princess Layer

We have also call the Eglu Cube either - Jabba the Hutch or Jabba’s palace!!

We also love taking photos…so here are far too many.... and out of order.... but I'm sure you will figure it out!

Cheers Helen (and Ron)

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9433.jpg

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8009.jpg

IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_8019.jpg

IMG_9530.jpg

IMG_8026.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome from me too, your set up looks great, and what a treat to see such a lovely garden under a big blue sky.  My brother and family live in Victoria, we are hoping to get over there next year if we all manage to get a dose of the vaccine.  Anyway, what are those lovely structures in the background, that look like fruit cages with enclosed bottoms and curved ends?  Did you make them or buy them?

• Like 1

Welcome!  My two granddaughters in Melbourne have chickens.  I have thought about sending them a Cube, but have wondered how they will stand up to the sun?  Also, where did you get them from?   I’m just wondering about an idea for a Christmas present....  By the way, forget the extreme weather jacket.  It gets to -17 occasionally where I live in the U.K.  I’ve had two cubes for 12 years and have never needed them.  It also restricts the ventilation.  More chickens die of respiratory disease in winter than anything else 

Edited by Patricia W
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daphne said:

Welcome from me too, your set up looks great, and what a treat to see such a lovely garden under a big blue sky.  My brother and family live in Victoria, we are hoping to get over there next year if we all manage to get a dose of the vaccine.  Anyway, what are those lovely structures in the background, that look like fruit cages with enclosed bottoms and curved ends?  Did you make them or buy them?

Thank you for your lovely comments. The structures in the background are raised garden beds. They are made by a water tank company, to our specification thus the corrugated steel and the waterproofing inside. They are quite common in Australia. My husband and I constructed the coverings over the top, from what we could find at the hardware store. It consists mostly of aviary wire, steel and wood frame and aviary wire gates. We need to keep out the multitude of birds large and small, possums, blue tongue lizards, skinks, mice etc but let the bees in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Welcome!  My two granddaughters in Melbourne have chickens.  I have thought about sending them a Cube, but have wondered how they will stand up to the sun?  Also, where did you get them from?   I’m just wondering about an idea for a Christmas present....  By the way, forget the extreme weather jacket.  It gets to -17 occasionally where I live in the U.K.  I’ve had two cubes for 12 years and have never needed them.  It also restricts the ventilation.  More chickens die of respiratory disease in winter than anything else 

Hi Patricia, We have had our Cube for 5 months and it has experienced 0 - 38C so far with no sign of stress to the plastic. I do not know long term but we plan to keep ours under the deciduous Jacaranda in summer. We ordered through Omlet Australia in early March and it arrived in late June. I suggest you contact them, prior to ordering,  to find out the expected delivery time. The delivery expected day, may be next to the product on the Australian website. Thanks for the advice re the extreme weather jacket. I only bought the half one, not the one that covers up the back ventilation and I will use it with care. 

I've been lucky to go to Australia twice and Sydney once - your photos brought back some lovely memories.

I really enjoyed looking at them.

Your set up is amazing and I think your grass will last a lot longer than UK grass, as if I remember correctly, it is nice and sturdy.

Please send more photos, we love looking at other people's set ups.

Hi,

I’m new to the forum & new to life with Chickens. Our girlies are 8 weeks old & joined our family last Saturday. Straight away they stole a place in our hearts. 
We are an animal mad family, we have 1 dog, 3 guinea pigs, 2 Budgies, 1 hamster & now 4 Chickens.
I look forward to chatting to some of you on here . Have a lovely day xxx